As part of the third component of the entrepreneurial “Municipal Development” Program for reparation and development, designed by Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF) On behalf and under the guidance of the Palestinian authority, Community Development and Continuing Education Institute (CDCE-I) implements the project ‘Developing the Capacity of Municipalities and Local Communities in Social Accountability’. The project is based on the principle that the foundation of developed municipalities’ services is well-managed and accountable local communities.
The project, implemented between 29 January 2019 and 28 January 2020, targets eight municipalities in southern West Bank. And aims to institutionalized citizens’ participation and improve social accountability in the municipal’s works, through the use of official Manuals and procedures and the adoption of best practices, in order to:·
- Strengthening the feedback of the municipal services and work from the citizens and beneficiaries·
- Enhancing the Effectiveness of complaint mechanisms
Thirteen months starting from 29 January 2019 until 28 January 2020
Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF)
- Hebron Municipality
- Al Karmel Municipality
- Battir Municipality
- Beit Sahour municipality
- Beit Awwa Municipality
- Beit Fajjar Municipality
- Janata Municipality
- Zatara Municipality
1. Support the efforts of eight municipalities in Bethlehem and Hebron Governorate, to be more accountable institutions that work together with the citizens to satisfy the needs of the local community.
2.Assess the environment that enables social accountability and diagnose the current social accountability situation in the targeted municipalities.
3. Identify the civil society institutions that work in the area and strengthen the relationship between them and the municipalities, aiming to activate its role and engagement in the project events and activities.
4. Organize Guidance workshops and trainings about social accountability for Mayors, municipal councils’ members, municipal employees, and local communities’ institutions.
5. Form/ activate eight social accountability committees in the targeted municipalities. Also, prepare its structure and reference clauses, in accordance with an agreed upon criteria. In addition, prepare a six months working plan for each committee.
6. Implement eight tools from the social accountability toolkit, one in each targeted municipality, the selection of which tool is done in according the results of the diagnoses reports and as planned in the action plan.